Sunday, March 2, 2014

Packing List!

Here is the packing list! This is what I settle upon based on items I deemed necessary after reading multiple packing lists from previous volunteers, and then extras after finding I have more room than expected.

This is now everything that I own!

Amazingly this all fits very well into the bags - Both of my carryon bags are fairly light when loaded.

Bags
1 checked large duffle bag w wheels (48lb loaded w gear and I have room for more if needed) - this is the only item I am not fond of, but it works and was free! - just happens to be a little unwieldy even though it fits into the travel restrictions.
1 Dakine backpack as carryon (can be used with water bladder)
1 Osprey 30LTransporter pack as carryon - I love this thing it fits an astounding amount of stuff! Loaded with enough clothes to have nice ones for staging/arrival in country, and a change of 'casual' stuff during travel - basically if my checked bag gets lost, this thing has me covered for a while.

1 Osprey 75L Transporter duffle bag/backpack for daytrips once in country (this is compressed amazingly small and being kept in my backpack during travel - That being said it is very durable, and will fit everything needed for camping)

Clothes
3 belts
-dress
-money belt
-work belt
1 pair black slacks
2 pairs black dress socks
1 pair black dress shoes
1 dark grey dress shirt
2 ties
10 pairs underwear
1 pair athletic shorts (sleeping in and double use as swim trunks)
3 pairs quick dry socks
6 pairs dark socks
7 light breathable t-shirts (mono color or with conservative designs - to be used as undershirts or when at home)
1 pair winter socks
1 knit hat
1 Underarmor long sleeve for winters or camping in the mountains
1 rain jacket
5 long sleeve collared button up shirts - quick dry and durable for field use
1 multipocketed vest
5 pairs pants (2 Kuhl Revolvr (love these), 1 pair jeans, 1 pair quick dry multipocketed pants, 1 pair light canvas work pants)
1 pair shoes (yep, that's it - these are comfy and durable, fairly conservative, and I will supplement with other shoes/boots in country as needed)
1 fedora hat (it was 9$, looks ok, and covers my ears from the sun - hey, I'm on a budget here)
1 Hoodie - That grey, ultralight one you all have seen me wearing constantly
Light jacket (Kuhl brand - canvas, durable, hand washable, several pockets)

Gear
Wallet
Passport
1 pair climbing shoes and chalk bag (These pack amazingly light and Malawi is covered in rocks and I plan on getting my bouldering in)
1 Camelback Mule w/ extra bladder
2 water bottles
1 magnesium fire starter (10000 uses and tiny!)
1 single person light tent + footprint to help prevent tears
1 ultralight sleeping bag (will double as cover for bed in winter
1 camping sleeping pad
1 set plastic camping utensils
2 Knorks (these rock!)
1 CRKT Eat'n tool
1 Gerber multitool
1 Baladeo 15g pocketknife (this is also awesome)
1 ultra compact, reusable water filtration system (several people have said they regretted bringing on, but I love camping and this thing was tiny)
- toothbrush+floss+toothpaste
- tweezers
- nail clippers
1 Quickdry, compact towel (basically a shammy for the body)
1 headlamp (4 AAA batteries - selected for water resistance and battery life on "low" setting)
1 watch (analogue, conservative, backlight, water resistant, basic functions)
- 8 each of extra AA and AAA batteries
1 tiny sewing kit
- several basic pens
- 2 composition books
- binder with extra envelopes, stamps, printouts of required PC paperwork
- some Aleve

Electronics
- basic laptop, something inexpensive with antivirus, word processing, loaded with Peace Corps documents, Wikipedia, music.
- Digital camera, again something incredibly basic and inexpensive.
- extra memory card
- 2 flash drives (love how cheap these are anymore!)
- Mp3 Player, ultra cheap
- ear buds
- external hard drive - already backed up everything on the comp

Extras that I had/made room for
Camping French Press and cup combo (compact and has several uses)
Compact and durable stainless steel/ceramic hand grinder for coffee
flat disk Frisbee
hacky-sack
pro homebrew kit (Rubber band, balloon, packet of Fleischman's yeast) - More on that to come
Books
-Catch-22
-Chichewa 101
-Bradt guide to Malawi
-Venomous snakes of Malawi (I am really excited about this one! Most of the info is current - some of the bite treatment is outdated even though it was just printed, but still a great resource!)

I am sure there are a few small things I am forgetting. I will get more living items once training is over and I know what my site will require.

No comments:

Post a Comment